BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook
Quainton News Archive - Quainton News No. 29 - Autumn 1976
Good News from the C & W
This summer there has been great activity in the Carriage acquisition department! In the last issue of Quainton News we reported the arrival of the LNWR passenger full brake, DM 279982, and the successful tender we had submitted for the GNR six compartment third, DE 900178. When the latest six wheeler arrived at Quainton in July it caused quite a stir! Unfortunately it had been vandalised while standing at York and all the good droplight end fittings had been removed by smashing the doors. It really did look a sad sight and many members questioned the wisdom of the purchase. Since it came to our depot some very good work has been done on the body and frames and the tatty black bitumen daubed over the coach has been removed to reveal the original varnished teak panelling. Now it is beginning to show what a delightful companion vehicle it will form with our existing brake third with its similar profile. Inside the new arrival the dividing partitions were gutted when the carriage was converted for use as a plumbers workshop and at one end of the body there are shelves divided into small sections for pipe fittings. One of the roof lights retains its original blue glass engraved 'smoking', and the figure '3' has been disclosed on the doors, as well as the number which is X459, the X is not yet clear.
The news this month is that the Society has just purchased its third BR Mk l coach, SK E24993, thanks to a loan generously made by a member. This completes the trio of Mk l's seating 130 passengers, which we may, one fine day, be able to use outside the confines of Quainton. A further two coaches are intended to be acquired and will bring the capacity to 236 seats in total. The particulars of the vehicles purchased are:-
The CK has already arrived at Bicester MOD Depot. It was delivered for storage there with two other coaches on 26th August, having travelled on ordinary freight trains via Acton and Oxford! The two remaining Mk.l's will be joining these three coaches at Bicester until a track slew can be organised for their delivery to the up yard at Quainton.
The 'other' coaches are both privately owned by members. The first one has been acquired by John Parsons and it is a bogie six-compartment brake third, formerly LNWR 22736, built at Wolverton in 1921, and representing the final development of the suburban coach by the Premier Line. We now have examples of LNWR four, six, eight and twelve wheeled coaches on the QRS, truly a wonderful collection. When purchased the coach was in use as a riding van at Bletchley DED, No. TDM 395209. It is 57ft long and 9ft 3in wide, weighs 30 tons and is vacuum fitted.
The second carriage has been obtained by Chris Britten and it is a very interesting former LMS third class sleeping car built at Derby in 1933. It was one of fifteen built by Stanier as the first fixed berth design of 3rd class car. Our vehicle was No. 592 and a similar coach, No. 585, went to the United States in 1933 with the Royal Scot tour. The series were the longest eight wheeled locomotive hauled coaches to be constructed by the LMS, being 65ft overall. The 37 ton vehicles had seven four-berth compartments and an attendants room. Although it had been used latterly as a dormitory coach it had remained very much as built internally but there has been some vandalism of internal fittings.
At the end of the summer season the LCDR was withdrawn from service for door repairs which need the skilful hands of a joiner. Do we have a member or friend who would help us in this job please?
The LNWR passenger full brake was running in undercoat livery at the end of August and looked surprisingly different after the treatment but the MSLR six wheeler still has to be finished before it can enter traffic. More assistance is urgently required in the C & W Department so as to keep abreast of operating needs. We also invite somebody with an interest in the lovely twelve wheeled dining car to help preserve this priceless vehicle because Wendy and Roger Howard have had to give up being custodians. We do thank them both very sincerely for their splendid efforts which were not often seen by many members or visitors.
As a tailpiece to this article on coaching stock preserved by our Society, the movement of a coach to be restored by London Transport will be of interest. A compartment bogie coach built by Ashburys in about 1900 has been taken from Preston Park, Brighton to West Ruislip where it arrived on 22nd July via Wimbledon and the Circle line. No. 519, formerly No. 400, was built as a steam hauled vehicle and was converted to an electric driving trailer in 1921. In 1939 it was reconverted to steam haulage and ran on the Chesham to Chalfont 'shuttle' until it was withdrawn in 1961. On 26th February 1962 it was dispatched from Neasden to the BTC Relics Store at Clay Cross, Derbyshire but 6½ years later returned south to Preston Park, where it arrived on 24th August 1968. Now it is to be restored by LT for the Syon Park, (Covent Garden?) [Note 1], collection.
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 11 November 2017