BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Where are they now?
LNWR Suburban Brake 3rd No. 7340
Wolverton works turned out this suburban brake vehicle on 29th January 1921 shortly before the grouping. It is built to the final design of LNWR suburban stock, 154 of this type being built between 1914 and 1922, with a further 51 built by the LMS in 1923 / 24. The carriage is a bogie six-compartment brake third. It is 57ft. long and 9ft 3in wide, weighs 30 tons and is vacuum fitted. Originally this coach went into service as the end vehicle of inter-district set 104. These were permanently coupled until split up by the LMS in the late 1920s.
In March 1957 the vehicle was deemed surplus to requirements and was withdrawn from passenger service. However, it was requisitioned for use as a riding van and taken to Derby for conversion in May 1958. The original six compartments were removed and replaced by two "lounge" sections, a kitchen and toilets. One of the lounge's had a large vertical boiler for brewing hot water, a cooking range and non-original gas lighting - the original electric lighting was removed as the batteries would not have been man enough to allow for long periods standing at a work site.
Renumbered (T)DM395209, it was attached to the Bletchley breakdown crane to provide accommodation for the crew, before being finally withdrawn in 1976. It arrived at Quainton, owned by the GCR Coach Group. It arrived at Quainton with other stock by a track slew of the BR line in July 1977, for details of stock arriving in this delivery see the Visitors section.
|Origin :-||LNWR||Date Built :-||1921||Number :-||LNWR - 7340
LMS - 7107
BR - 22736
|Type :-||Suburban Brake 3rd||Builder :-||LNWR Wolverton|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 22 September 2015