BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Industrial Locomotives
Hudswell Clarke & Co. Ltd
Old Railway Foundry, Leeds
In 1860 W S Hudswell, the son of a Leeds pastor, and Mr John Clarke formed Hudswell and Clarke, a general engineering company which produced its first railway locomotive in 1870. Although relatively small, the company was to become one of the foremost industrial loco builders in the country.
In 1925 they produced their first diesel locomotive and from then on were to become one of the leaders in this field. The orders for the company's diesels gradually outstripped those for steam and in 1961 they built their last steam engine. Hudswell Clarke continued in the loco building trade until 1973, having become part of the Trind Group in 1968. The locomotive side of the business is now owned by the Hunslet Group, also originally Leeds based.
Examples at Quainton
|Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T No. 1334 Sir Thomas|
|Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0ST No. 1742 Millom|
Examples Previously at Quainton
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page first published in QRS publication "A Century on Rails" 1985.
Page Updated: 16 September 2017