BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Industrial Locomotives
Ruston & Hornsby Ltd
Boultham Works, Lincoln
Ruston & Hornsby was one of the few locomotive building companies that had no history of the production of steam locomotives. Instead it concentrated entirely on the production of internal combustion engined locomotives. The company dominated this market in the UK, eventually producing nearly 6500 examples.
Ruston & Hornsby Ltd was originally formed in 1918, with the merger of two engineering firms, Ruston Proctor Company and Richard Hornsby & Sons. The Ruston Proctor Company had produced a few steam locomotives, but most of both companies business was in various other engineering fields. It was not until 1931 that Ruston & Hornsby produced their first locomotive, a 10HP, narrow gauge locomotive with a Lister engine. Until 1937 Ruston & Hornsby used Lister engines in a series of narrow gauge locomotives. But, as the demand for both more powerful, and standard gauge locomotives grew, Ruston developed their own designs of diesel and oil engines.
After starting as latecomers to railway locomotive building, Ruston soon dominated the market. However, this was to last for a relatively short period, as by 1966 the decision had been taken to cease production. Production had ceased by 1968, with the last locomotives dispatched in 1970. The company carried on with the production of diesel engines in the old locomotive workshops. 1966 had also seen the take-over of Ruston & Hornsby by English Electric Co, who also produced locomotives at their Vulcan Works in Lancashire.
Examples at Quainton
|Ruston & Hornsby No. 463153 - Hilsea|
|Ruston & Hornsby No. 425477|
|Ruston & Hornsby No. 459518 Scaz|
Examples Previously at Quainton
|Ruston & Hornsby 4wDM No. 277273|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page first published in QRS publication "A Century on Rails" 1985.
Page Updated: 16 September 2017