BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Where are they now?
Ruston & Hornsby 4wDM No. 277273
The Ruston's last commercial job was on the Farningham Sewer contract in the Darent Valley in Kent in August 1972, carrying the number 18. The loco also carried a Hall and Ham River Ltd emblem, with the number LO 23 within a circle. Earlier in her life she had worked at the Woodside Brick Co. Ltd. Croydon.
This narrow gauge diesel was purchased by a Quainton member who also owned the narrow gauge steam locomotive Holy War to assist with moving the latter into and out of its shed (which was actually a ex British Railways BD type container). This diesel had been obtained from Oxford in working order from Alan Keef, who as well as being an enthusiast dealt in narrow gauge railway equipment. The loco arrived at Quainton on the 18th April 1973, was unloaded and was chugging up and down within half an hour of arriving. Although she arrived in working condition, she needed a lot of work to bring her up to "preserved" condition.
This 1' 10 ¾" gauge locomotive originally left Quainton in January 1975 for Boothby Peat Co. Ltd. Cumbria, via A. M. Keef, Cote Farm, Bampton, Oxon for refurbishment. It is now at the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway Co. Ltd, Ravenglass, Cumbria where it has been modified to be used as a flail mower.
Current Location - Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway Co. Ltd, Ravenglass, Cumbria
|Builder :-||Ruston & Hornsby||Date Built :-||1949||Works No. :-||277273|
|Running No. :-||-||Name :-||Anita||Wheel Arrangement :-||4wDM|
|Tractive Effort :-||- lb||Boiler Pressure :-||- psi||Cylinder Dimensions :-||-" x -"|
|Weight :-||-t -c||Driving Wheel Dia. :-||-' -"|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 18 September 2015