BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook
Quainton News Archive - Quainton News No. 24 - Summer 1975
Manning Wardle 0-4-0ST No. 14
Brill No. 14
At Quainton we believe we have the finest collection of industrial tank locomotives in the country and although it would be invidious to select one engine as the most significant or worthy representative there can be little doubt that No. 14 can claim a high place in the league table. This engine is, in fact, the only four wheeled standard gauge locomotive built by Manning, Wardle & Co. Ltd., of Boyne Engine Works, Hunslet, Leeds, still existing in Britain and therefore it is good to report that Brian Clifford is now actively engaged on restoring this unique locomotive to working order.
No. 14 is quite a heavy 0-4-0ST built in 1912, maker's No. 1795, and it was sent new to T. W. Ward Ltd., in Sheffield. In the following year it was moved to John Lysaght's Normanby Park Steel Works, Scunthorpe and at a later date was acquired by the Wensley Lime Co. Ltd., for working at the Wensley Quarries, Preston under Scar, North Yorks. The Lime Company was a joint subsidiary of the Cargo Fleet Iron Co. Ltd., and the South Durham Steel and Iron Co. Ltd., so it was to the latter Company's Irchester Ironstone Quarries in Northants that No. 14 was transferred in May 1957. In 1936 the engine was overhauled and rebuilt at the works of Ridley Shaw & Co. Ltd at Middlesbrough and it has cylinders with 16 in. bore and a piston stroke of 22 in. The coupled wheels are 2ft. 10 in. diameter and the boiler pressure is 140 psi. In 1969 No. 14 was withdrawn from service and was purchased by a group of QRS. members. It arrived at Quainton on 27th August 1969 and during the past five years only basic preservation against the weather and corrosion has been attempted.
Last year Brian acquired the engine and made his plans for its overhaul and restoration. The work already carried out has included major alterations to the commodious cab; new side windows have been cut out to double the size, new spectacle plates have been fitted, also cab doors, and a new roof is being prepared. The next task in this section is to fit a new coal bunker at the back of the cab. Mechanically the work completed included refitting and repair of the valve gear eccentrics, the steam and hand brakes and the double type fire doors. The boiler tubes have been cleaned to check their condition, the studs for the feed check and blow down valves have been renewed and those securing the safety valves have also been replaced. Blanks have been prepared ready for the boiler hydraulic test. The firebox covers and lagging have been removed for checking the stays and as soon as the track is extended through the restoration building to reach No. 14 the water tank and boiler lagging will be taken off to disclose the barrel and seams.
Other jobs being tackled include the removal of the buck eye couplers and their replacement with standard hook and chain couplings, and the removal of the sand boxes so that the steel running plates can be renewed.
As indicated by the title of this article the locomotive, on completion, will be named Brill No. 14 and Brian has already had new nameplates made for the day when the Manning, Wardle joins Swanscombe in steam at Quainton.
The picture opposite [above] shows the enlarged side cab window and was taken on Easter Sunday.
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 28 October 2017