BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook
Quainton News Archive - Quainton News No. 13 - September 1972
BR Ivatt Class 2MT 2-6-0 No. 46447
Quainton's Second Ivatt
On 7th June as stable mate arrived for the Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2T, 41298. This is the eagerly awaited 2-6-0, 46447 which has been saved for preservation by the Ivatt Locomotive Trust and has been purchased from Woodham Bros., Barry. The two engines are identical in design except for the addition of tanks and bunker but the tender engine version appeared first, in 1946, and was intended for mixed traffic work including main line and cross country freight traffic. The design was the first entirely new production by the LMS since 1935 and the BF 2-8-0's. It was very successful and the class grew to a total of 128 engines when construction ceased in 1953. Our own 46447 appeared from Crewe in March 1950 as one of a series, 46435 to 46449, against Order E475, and was first shedded at Crewe North (5A).
In May 1950, 46447 with two other Class 2 2-6-0's arrived at Penrith and Workington to challenge the stronghold of the Webb Cauliflower 0-6-0's on the trains over the erstwhile Cockermouth, Keswick and Penrith Railway and 46447 was allocated to Workington, (12D). Although some speed restrictions were placed on the newcomers they soon proved themselves in traffic and on 1st August 1950 our engine headed the down Lakes Express out of Penrith eight minutes late with four bogies. Two minutes had been recovered by Keswick and the train was three minutes early at Braithwaite!
By 1952 the old 0-6-0's had been completely eclipsed by the Ivatt's but a new threat affected the reign in Cumberland. On 3rd January 1955 the first Diesel Multiple Units were introduced by the LMR and these started working the Penrith and Wokington services. The 2-6-0's continued to be used for goods and mineral trains and also the summer through traffic to and from Keswick.
In December 1959 46447 left the Lake District for Springs Branch but soon found North Wales more pleasant. From June 1960, home was Llandudno Junction for three months before moving along the coast to Bangor. Then, from September 1963, the Ivatt was shedded at Nuneaton, 28 in the Stoke Division; duties were less glamorous but important and included parcels and freight trains on the main line to Stafford and Rugby, Burton, Leicester and to Birmingham. The next move was to Derby, (17A) in May 1963 where 46447 could be seen on similar work which added the Nottingham and Chesterfield districts to its sphere of activity. During the early and mid 1960´s the Diesel locomotive was gradually invading the preserves of steam and the Midlands were badly affected by 1964. Thus, in June 1964, our 2-6-0 was transferred north to Springs Branch, Wigan, (8F) where it ended its days in BR service on freight trains on the complex of lines serving Warrington, St Helens, Chorley and reaching Manchester and Liverpool.
In December 1966, 46447 was withdrawn and in the following April was sold for scrap to Woodham Bros., Barry. This is the end and beginning of the story of Quainton's Class 2. In a future issue we hope to relate the next instalment, the progress and problems of restoration.
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 20 October 2017