BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Where are they now?
BR Ivatt Class 2MT 2-6-0 No. 46447
There were 128 of these locomotives built to a design by H. G. Ivatt, the last CME of the LMS. Twenty, Nos. 6400-6419, were completed by that company in 1946 and 1947, while a further 108 were built by BR from 1948 to 1953. Designed to replace the ageing small locomotives used on secondary and branch line duties, they incorporated all the labour-saving features of their sister engines, the Ivatt 2-6-2 tanks. The 2-6-0s, allocated to all regions of BR except the Southern, were popular with footplate crews and despite having wheels of only 5-ft diameter (1.52m), were easily capable of 70mph.
Built in 1950 at Crewe to lot No. 201, 46447 was first allocated to Crewe North shed in March of that year. After only two months work it was transferred to Workington to join others of its type in displacing the ageing Webb 'Cauliflower' 0-6-0s from the Penrith area. In December 1959, 46447 left the Lake District for Springs Branch, Wigan, where it remained until June 1960. It was then transferred to Llandudno Junction, moving on to Bangor in September. A year later the engine was allocated to Nuneaton, after which the engine was officially transferred to Derby on 19 May 1963. From that depot it moved back to Springs Branch on 17 May 1964. In December 1966 it was withdrawn from service from service and sold to Woodham Brothers of Barry for scrap.
The above pictures were taken by Ray Sharrat in the summer of 1961 shortly after its allocation to Nuneaton MPD. Its condition suggested that it had gone to Nuneaton via Crewe Works. Ray Sharrat was fireman on 46447 with Glyn Wigmore as his driver, both based at Coventry MPD when these photos were taken. Ray writes that there was a second coal yard on the opposite side of the station. They had a class 2 engine allocated to this turn to deal with Streets siding at Kenilworth junction. By this time the siding only dealt with Stickleys scrap metal. They would drop empty wagons in for loading and then really struggle to get a couple of loaded wagons back up the steep incline to the junction on what was poor track. Often the fireman walked ahead shovelling what ever he could on to the track for the engine to get adhesion. We thank Ray for providing these photographs.
The locomotive was purchased by the Ivatt Trust and moved to Quainton on 7th June 1972. Despite missing a great many parts from its time at Barry, and a boiler in poor condition, restoration started whilst at Quainton. In common with fellow Ivatts 41313 and 41298 Ivatt 46447 was transferred to the Isle of Wight Steam Railway. Prior to departure the frames of the locomotive were lowered back onto its wheels for its journey to the Isle of Wight. No. 46447 has since gone to the East Somerset Railway on a long-term restore and operate loan arrangement. LBSCR 0-6-0T E1 Class loco No. 110 Burgundy going to the Isle of Wight as part of the arrangement.
Restoration of No. 46447 has proceeded rapidly. In February 2013 work on the tender frames was almost complete with wheels and springs refitted. The water scoop has also been repaired, but there is no intent to reuse this at Cranmore. Work on the boiler came to fruitition with the out of frames steam test in June 2014. On the 27th September 2014 No. 46447 moved for the first time since 1966. No. 46447 was launched into service on Sunday 26th October 2014 with a small ceremony at Cranmore Station. The first train hauled by 46447 in public service was the 11:00 on Sunday 26th October 2014.
Current Location - East Somerset Railway
|Builder :-||BR(M)||Date Built :-||1950||Origin :-||BR|
|Number :-||46447||Alternate Numbers :-||-||Name :-||-|
|Wheel Arrangement :-||2-6-0||Tractive Effort :-||17,410 lb||Boiler Pressure :-||200 psi|
|Cylinder Dimensions :-||16" X 24"||Weight :-||84t 05c||Driving Wheel Dia. :-||5' 0"|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 03 October 2017