BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Where are they now?
Baguley Drewry 0-4-0DM No. 2161
During the Second World War, the Ministry of Supply place an order with the Dewry Car Company for 0-4-0 diesel shunters. The locomotives were built to a design of the Scottish company, Andrew Barclay, by two different contractors: the Vulcan Foundry and E. E. Baguley Ltd. This locomotive is one of the latter, being turned out of Baguley's works in 1941.
Originally given the number WD 34, the locomotive became MEF 40 on transfer to the Middle East in the same year (MEF = Middle East Force). Later renumbered WD 70035, it was returned to the British Isles in 1947 and the following February was sold to Esso Petroleum for use at their Purfleet Tank Farm. It was to remain there for the rest of its working life, until Esso kindly donated it to the Quainton Railway Society in 1983. In 2001 No. 2161 was sold to a Dutch Preservation group where it joined a similar War Department Diesel WD 70033. The initial intention was to use 2161 as spares for WD 70033.
No. 2161 is fitted with a Gardner 6L3 engine developing 153hp at 1200rpm. Drive is via a Wilson type 700 final drive unit and SE4 four-speed epicyclic gear box. Maximum speed is 17 mph.
The WD 70033 / NS 162 Restoration Group in the Netherlands acquired No. 2161 from Quainton as a donor for their then current project. WD 034 arrived in the Netherlands on 9th March 2003 and an inspection was carried out to assess which parts were useable for their WD 70033 project. The wheels on WD 033 were almost worn out so those from WD 034 were used. Some parts of the driving mechanism, upper section of the cab and chimney were also used. In stripping WD034 they found components from WDs 031, 033, 034, 035 and 036. At least some components were coming back to the original engine.
The group was asked to move out of their base in Amsterdam and moved to a new base at Blerick, near Venlo, in the South East Netherlands. In November 2003, the remains of WD 034 were moved to this new base. Once WD 033 is operational again, the group intend to put the worm out components together to resurrect WD 034 as a static exhibit.
Current Location - Foundation 162, Blerick, The Netherlands (In Dutch)
|Builder :-||Baguley Drewry||Date Built :-||1941||Works No. :-||2161|
|Running No. :-||WD 034 / MEF 40 / WD70035||Name :-||-||Wheel Arrangement :-||0-4-0DM|
|Tractive Effort :-||153hp||Weight :-||21t 6c|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 02 October 2017