Buckinghamshire Railway Centre Logo

BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Industrial Locomotives

Yorkshire Engine Company
Meadowhall Works, Sheffield



Established in 1865 this company became well known for its colliery winding engines. Locomotive construction commenced in 1866 with an order for three 2-4-0s for the Great Northern Railway. Other orders followed and soon engines were being built for railways in India, Jamaica, Russia and Australia as well as Great Britain. An early speciality of the company was its Fairlie locos, built to Fairlie's patent under licence. Locomotives of the Fairlie type can be seen on the Ffestiniog Railway, North Wales, although these particular engines were built by George England. The Yorkshire Engine Company continued building colliery equipment as well as railway engines and other general engineering work. This resulted in the construction of only fifty-eight complete locomotives in the period 1913 to 1927, although many boilers and other spares were produced.

In 1930 an order was placed by the GWR for twenty-five pannier tanks, a further order for the type being placed by BR Western Region in 1949. During 1956 the last of this batch (BR No. 3409) was the final steam loco turned out from Meadowhall. From this date the company concentrated on diesel locomotives, having built its first in 1949.

The Yorkshire Engine Company was purchased by United Steel in 1948 to give them a loco building capacity, principally for their own use. After the takeover nearly all the steam locos built by YE went to other branch companies of USC, the only exceptions being a batch for the NCB and the panniers previously mentioned.

In 1956 Rolls Royce took over diesel loco patterns, stock and goodwill, transferring the business to subsidiary company Thomas Hill of Rotherham, who continued to provide a spares and overhaul service for several years. Rolls Royce built three 'Janus' class locos to Yorkshire Engine Company design at their Sentinel plant in Shrewsbury and a further loco, an 0-4-0, was sold by Rolls Royce having being built by YE for stock. This machine was given the Rolls Royce works number 10254.


Examples at Quainton

chislet_L.jpg (133,269 bytes) Yorkshire Engine Co. 0-6-0ST No. 2498 Chislet

Examples Previously at Quainton

None

Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page first published in QRS publication "A Century on Rails" 1985.
Email Webmaster
Page Updated: 16 September 2017