BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Goods Vehicles - Tank Wagons
Tunnel No. 6
This wagon was built for Tunnel Cement Ltd.in 1960. It was used to carry cement on their internal system down on the Thameside wharf for shipping. As the powders settle down and compact in transit, this wagon was built to allow compressed air to be used to assist unloading.
When this method of working ceased, it was transferred to their works at Pitstone, near Tring. There it was used on the regular trains to London and Bevois Park in Southampton. It is fitted with vacuum brakes, which made it redundant when air brake working was introduced. The BR registered number was TC8956.
It is believed to be the only survivor of this specialist vehicle from the 1900 that were built, and it was kindly donated to the Society by Castle Cement of Pitstone, and has been restored to their original livery.
A lot of hard work was required to return the wagon to its former red oxide livery, as the entire outside surface was liberally covered with rock hard cement.
|Origin :-||Tunnel Cement||Date Built :-||1960||Number :-||6|
|Diagram :-||-||Lot :-||-|
|Capacity :-||22 tons cement||Tare Weight :-||13½ tons||Gross Weight :-||35½ tons|
|Type :-||Presflo Cement Carrier||Builder :-||The Butterley Engineering Co. Ltd., Codnor Park, Nottingham||Wheelbase :-||-|
|Owner :-||QRS||Status :-||Restored||Location :-||Down Yard|
|Accession No.:||W/0073||Arrival Date :-||1991|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 27 September 2017