BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Where are they now?
Down Yard Permanent Way Hut
A typical example of an once common railway structure, at one time there would have been one of these huts every few miles, used by Permanent Way gangs as a base. This structure, adjacent to our Signal Box in the Down Yard, was here when QRS took over the site in 1969. It is made of steel reinforced concrete sections, including the roof, and is typical of the 1950's railway. It was used by our Permanent Way (track) gang to store their tools and for the all important tea making facilities.
Unfortunately during 2016 it was decided that damage due to poor 1950s construction methods, meant the structure was becoming unsafe, and the building had to be removed.
|Origin :-||????||Date Built :-||????||Number :-||N/A|
|Type :-||Structure||Builder :-||?????||Owner||QRS|
|Status :-||Dismantled||Location :-||Down yard|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 06 October 2017