BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Where are they now?
377 - King Haakon VII 2-6-0 tender
It has been suggested, but not proved, that during World War II this locomotive was used for the train on the 11th April 1940 carrying the King of Norway, King Haakon VII, and his Government from Oslo to Molde, in their flight from the invading German Army. The King subsequently escaped to the UK.
King Haakon VII arrived at Quainton May 1971, leaving for the Ashford Steam Centre in January 1972. On the March 27th 1973 it moved to the Great Central Railway, Loughborough, where it operated for a number of years. On the 24th June 1973 it operated the official first train for the services from Loughborough to Quorn and Woodhouse. In 1977 major boiler work became necessary and the locomotive was withdrawn from service.
It was purchased by the Bressingham Steam Museum, Norfolk leaving the Great Central Railway on the 21st April 1981. Since then it has had extensive restoration, returning to operation in 2006.
Current Location - Bressingham Steam Museum, Norfolk
|Builder :-||Nydqvist and Holm AB, Trollhattan, Sweden||Date Built :-||1919||Works No. :-||1164|
|Running No. :-||377||Name :-||King Haakon VII||Wheel Arrangement :-||2-6-0|
|Tractive Effort :-||18,058 lbs||Boiler Pressure :-||170 psi||Cylinder Dimensions :-||17" x 24"|
|Weight :-||61 tons, 10 cwt||Driving Wheel Dia. :-||1400mm|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 21 August 2016