BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Passenger Stock - Bogie Vintage Coaches
Great Western Railway Special Saloon No. W9001
The railway paid a key role in the defence of Great Britain during the Second World War, being the prime movers or armaments, troops and supplies to the ports. This carriage, originally loaned from the Birmingham Railway Museum, was used by Winston Churchill when entertaining General Eisenhower. It is fitted with lounge, dining room, kitchen and pantry, and was also specially fitted with radio receiving gear. It was built to diagram G62, lot number 1626.
This carriage was first preserved in 1968, located on the Severn Valley Railway. In 1976 it moved to the Birmingham Railway Museum, Tyseley, moving again in 1993. It was then moved to the Great Central Railway, until it returned to Tyseley. In 2002 it was loaned to Quainton for display in the new Rewley Road Visitor Centre on the 21 January of that year, subsequently being sold to Quainton in 2007.
After being transferred to Quainton ownership this coach was sent for fast track restoration to the Llangollen Railway, returning to Quainton in December 2007. Some internal works was completed at Quainton during 2008.
|Origin :-||GWR||Date Built :-||1940||Number :-||W9001
|Type :-||Special Saloon||Builder :-||GWR Swindon||Owner :-||QRS|
|Status :-||Operational||Location :-||Rewley Road||Accession Number :-||W/0138|
|Arrival Date :-||Quainton - 2002 / QRS - 2007|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 24 September 2017