BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Goods Vehicles - Goods Brake Vans
LNWR Crystal Palace Goods Brake
This ex-LNWR Crystal Palace goods brake van arrived at Quainton during December 2006, having moved from the Avon Valley Railway at Bitton. Previously it was owned by the Navy, based at Gosport Dockyard.
It is planned to restore this van to its 1917 condition, which includes the unusual end glazing of the veranda, hence the Crystal Palace nickname. It has a single veranda, 4 wheels, a steel chassis and weighs 20 tons. In addition to the conventional leaf springs, it is also fitted with coil ones at the ends of each leaf. It currently has steel disc wheels which are incorrect for this vehicle, but will be very difficult, if not impossible to remedy, it should have open-spoke wheels. A start has been made on replacing the incorrect vertical tongue-and-groove planking with the correct horizontal ribbed planking on one side so far. It is planned that vehicle will carry the number '1918B'. The LNWR used a 'B' number series.
Two others are known to exist, one at Mangapps Farm, in late LMS livery, and a derelict one on the Kent and East Sussex Railway.
|Origin :-||LNWR||Date Built :-||c 1917||Number :-||LNWR - 1918B (assumed)|
|Diagram :-||17b||Lot :-|
|Type :-||20 ton||Builder :-||Wheelbase :-|
|Owner :-||Chris Northedge||Status :-||Under Restoration||Location :-||Down Yard Shed|
|Accession No.:||N/A||Arrival Date :-||2005|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 27 September 2017