BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Railway Plant, Structures and Buildings
This feature, once so common at country stations is still (2013) believed to be the only one in the UK restored as a cattle dock - complete with cattle truck and a plastic cow, known as Buffercup (sic). Almost certainly built in the 1890´s, it is adjacent to the Aylesbury end on the Up Yard side of the Station building. Its walls are rendered in concrete, but topped on the non-loading side with timber baulks. On the cattle loading side the walls are topped with a blue brick edging and are 46 foot by 14 foot cobbled area with central drains. The fencing on the platform side is of 5 pairs of gates.
When the area in Cowley, Oxford was being rearranged for loading of cars following closure of the GWR Thame - Oxford branch, the cars were driven over to Quainton and loaded into box vans via the cattle dock´s end gates. A list of vehicle numbers exists in our archives!
|Origin :-||Great Central and Met Joint||Date Built :-||1890's||Number :-||N/A|
|Type :-||Structure||Builder :-||?????||Owner||QRS|
|Status :-||Operational||Location :-||Up Yard|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 15 October 2017