BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Industrial Locomotives - Steam Locomotives
Hunslet 0-6-0ST No. 3782 Arthur
This locomotive was built by Hunslet in 1953 to a design dating from 1923. The order was placed by the National Coal Board, who sent the new engine to Markham Main Colliery, Armthorpe, near Doncaster. Arthur was in use at Markham Main until 1976, acquiring parts from a similar locomotive, No. 2688, during an overhaul in 1972. When withdrawn from service it was the last steam locomotive working for the NCB in the Doncaster area.
Arthur laid out of use until 1978, when it was moved to Crab Key, Ellastone, near Ashbourne, Derbyshire, where it joined a private collection of industrial engines. A year later it was moved to a similar collection at High Cogges near Witney, Oxfordshire, but remained here only a short while, arriving at Quainton on 1st December 1979 after purchase by a QRS member. Arthur became the property of the Society after several members funded the purchase by regular monthly contributions. The loco is now in store awaiting overhaul.
The 16" diameter inside cylinder 0-6-0ST was built in 1953 by Hunslett Engine Co. Ltd., Leeds, makers number 3782, and is believed to have worked at Markham for its whole life. It was rebuilt in 1972 using some parts from a similar un-named Hunslett Pop 16" locomotive at Markham, built in 1943, maker's number 2688. It is thought that the top section of the cab and the saddle tank of Arthur came from 2688, and it also had a new coal bunker.
Arthur has now been taken out of long term storage to start a long awaited heavy overhaul.
|Builder :-||Hunslet||Date Built :-||1953||Works No. :-||3782|
|Running No. :-||-||Name :-||Arthur||Wheel Arrangement :-||0-6-0ST|
|Tractive Effort :-||15, 020 lb||Boiler Pressure :-||160 psi||Cylinder Dimensions :-||16" x 22"|
|Weight :-||38t 05c||Driving Wheel Dia. :-||3' 9"||Owner :-||QRS|
|Status :-||Heavy Overhaul||Location :-||Down Yard||Accession Number :-||W/0014|
|Arrival Date :-||Quainton 1979 / QRS 1980|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 15 September 2017