BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Railway Plant, Structures and Buildings
This was built sometime after arrival of the Great Central Railway, probably around 1905, to replace a level crossing. It has 3 arches in the typical Great Central Railway blue brick style. On the underside of each arch the bricks are laid in a different direction. Each span is 26’3” with 8’0” piers. The overall height is 20’2”. Each corner at road level and each wing wall pier is capped with a large piece of dressed stone. When built there was a very wide wooden staircase from road level down to rail level. According to old photographs it seems to have disappeared by 1920 [Note 1]. One wonders why a bus might stop on the crest of a bridge on a curving road.
|Origin :-||GC & Met Joint||Date Built :-||1905?||Number :-||N/A|
|Type :-||Structure||Builder :-||?????||Owner||Network Rail|
|Status :-||Operational||Location :-||Down yard / Up yard|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 30 September 2015