BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Where are they now?
LNWR Composite No. 2997
This mainline passenger coach was one of a series of one hundred vehicles constructed between 1914 and 1920, this example completed on 9th January 1920. In passenger service this coach had three first and four third-class compartments.
Until the late 1940's they could be seen on express trains out of Euston, but after that date the vehicles were regulated to secondary work. Withdrawal began in the early 1950s, this particular example remaining in use until April 1955. It was then converted into a "riding and tool van" and carrying the number DM395136. It was used at Toton, Tyseley and Chester, latterly used by the Motive Power department, where it served at Bletchley Depot. It was taken out of use in 1978 and arrived at Quainton in Red Departmental colours.
Owned at Quainton by a member, having originally being purchased from British Rail by the GCR Coach Group. The carriage was sold to an offsite private owner in 1987 and was transferred to Carnforth, eventually been donated to Crewe Heritage Centre. In 2008 it was moved to Wolverton Works for a proposed museum. In the event the museum did not go ahead, and the carriage returned to Crewe Heritage in June 2011. The intention is to restore the carriage at some stage.
|Origin :-||LNWR||Date Built :-||1920||Number :-||LMS - 2997
LMS - 8107
BR - 4772
BR - DM395136
|Type :-||Composite||Builder :-||LNWR Wolverton|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 20 September 2015