BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Where are they now?
GCR Brake / First No. 957
In the early years of the 20th century the Great Central Railway placed several large orders with various firms for rolling stock for use on their recently opened London extension. This example was built in 1906 for the suburban services from Marylebone. The original number was 957, and was subsequently renumbered 5957 by the LNER, then DE320179 when converted into a departmental mess coach in 1953. It was in use at Brough near Hull until sold into preservation in February 1971 to Mr J Parsons. It was stored at Aylesbury, until in was moved to Quainton in July 1974, delivered by track slew from the British Rail line.
When built the coach had six first class compartments and a brake end, but the partitions were removed during the conversion in 1953. It is 49ft 4in long, with four-wheeled bogies and weighs approximately 28½ tons.
This coach originally left for private location in Banbury, until moving to Mangapps in July 1997. It is now at Brockford Green, Suffolk, converted to holiday accommodation.
|Origin :-||GCR||Date Built :-||1906||Number :-||GCR 957|
|Type :-||Brake / First||Builder :-||GCR|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 20 September 2015