BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Where are they now?
Sentinel 0-4-0 No. 9376
Sentinel No. 9376 was built in 1947 for Ind Coope and Allsop, and was used at their Burton Brewery. During 1960 it was sold to Thomas Hill Ltd. of Kilnhurst, near Rotherham. From February to May that year the locomotive was loaned to Batchelor's Foods Ltd. of Wadsley Bridge. It then received a rebuild before sale to the National Coal Board in July. The NCB used No. 9376 at East Ardsley Colliery near Wakefield for three years before reselling it to Thomas Hill in 1963. Two years later the engine was on the move again, this time being purchased by General Refractories Ltd. of Deepcar, Sheffield. From about 1969, a small Ruston diesel was found sufficient for the company's rail traffic and No. 9376 lay out of use until 1971.
In this engine the drive passes via a two speed gear box through a double chain to the leading axle. This is connected to the rear axle by single chain on the opposite side. The space between the boiler and the cylinders at the front of the engine is occupied by a 500 gallon water tank.
In July 1971 the locomotive was purchased by a member of the Sentinel Trust and moved to Quainton. No. 9376 is similar to, but an older version of, Sentinel 9537 which was also at Quainton for a time.
9376 arrived at the Rutland Railway Museum Cottesmore in working order and worked at Barrington Cement Works, near Cambridge, as well as at Rutland Railway Museum open days. Few problems, other than the eccentricities of the locomotive, were experienced. The first problem arose due to a steam leak, when welded modifications were required to reduce clearances around mud hole doors to reduce the risk of further leaks. Problems were also been experienced with a loose piston in the left hand cylinder, this and problems with oiling, meant the locomotive was out of service for 1997.
During the layoff, some wasted studs were replaced, the pressure gauge was recalibrated, and a tank drain leak repaired. The locomotive passed its hydraulic and steam tests and returned to service. Due to the gradients at Cottesmore (approx. 1 in 66), No. 9376 was not really suited to continuous heavy working, but regularly performed on demonstration freight trains or running light locomotive. No. 9376 stood outside, with a custom designed tarpaulin keeping off the worst of the elements.
No. 9376 moved to the Elsecar Railway near Barnsley, South Yorkshire. It has now been stripped for its 10-year boiler inspection, requiring the boiler to be lifted out of the frames. Work on returning the locomotive to operational condition is not expected in the near future.
Current Location - The Elsecar Heritage Railway, Barnsley
|Builder :-||Sentinel||Date Built :-||1947||Works No. :-||9376|
|Running No. :-||7||Name :-||-||Wheel Arrangement :-||0-4-0T|
|Tractive Effort :-||5, 960 / 15, 960 lb||Boiler Pressure :-||275 psi||Cylinder Dimensions :-||6¾" x 9"|
|Weight :-||24t 0c||Driving Wheel Dia. :-||2' 6"|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 10 March 2017